Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Homemade Beef Stroganoff

Head on over to Balancing Beauty and Bedlam to check out some great recipes for Tasty Tuesday. I found this recipe years ago and thought it was a great variation to the Hamburger Helper I had been making. Around this time I decided to expand our menu and make more homemade food. We love it and I hope you enjoy too!

INGREDIENTS
1 (12 ounce) package egg noodles, cooked and drained
1 onion, chopped (I use onion powder because I dont like onions...this means I skip the butter too and just season the ground beef with the powder)
1/4 cup butter
2 pounds lean ground beef
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups beef broth
1 cup sour cream
salt and black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook egg noodles in boiling water until done. Drain.

Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. In a large skillet, cook onions in 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat until soft; remove from pan.
Using the same pan, melt remaining butter. Cook ground beef in melted butter until browned. Mix in flour. Stir in beef broth, and cook until slightly thickened. Add onion mixture; stir in sour cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until sauce is hot, but not boiling. Serve sauce over egg noodles.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmm sounds yummy!

Unknown said...

Sounds so YUMMY!!! and EASY!!! Geri

Staci said...

yummy yummy! I hope we both get some sleep tonight!

~~Mel~~ said...

Sounds great...definitely will try! I had no idea you didn't like onions...me neither!